Who doesn’t want a brighter, more radiant smile? Luckily for Winnipeg residents, dentists in Winnipeg offer a variety of teeth whitening options to safely enhance your smile. But with the range of at-home kits and in-office whitening treatments now available, how do you choose the right method?
In this article, we’ll examine popular teeth whitening methods, including their pros and cons. Read on to learn which solutions can best improve your smile affordably and effectively based on your goals, budget and lifestyle.
Over-the-Counter Whitening Kits
Over-the-counter teeth whitening products you can use at home provide the most affordable way to mildly brighten your smile. Options at your local pharmacy or grocery store include:
- Whitening strips – These thin, disposable strips coated with hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide conveniently mold to your teeth. Brands like Crest Whitestrips must be used daily for up to 30 minutes over 1-4 week periods to see noticeable lightening.
- Whitening trays – Custom fitted trays are filled with bleaching gels that are worn against the teeth for 1-2 hours daily over a couple weeks. Products include Go Smile and Opalescence kits.
- Whitening toothpastes – Look for brands with polishing agents and low-abrasion silicas to safely lift surface stains with gentle scrubbing. Peroxide may also be added to lighten. Use twice daily as your regular toothpaste.
Pros: Low cost (under $100), convenient at-home use, while strips are disposable.
Cons: Gradual lightening, usually 1-3 shade improvement. Mild to moderate sensitivity or gum irritation possible. Results don’t last as long.
For more dramatic whitening with faster results, your dentist offers professional whitening treatments performed right in their Winnipeg office. Popular options include:
- Zoom Whitening – Following gingival protection, 25-40% hydrogen peroxide gel is applied and activated by a specialized light. Takes 60-90 minutes.
- Opalescence Boost – This highly concentrated 38% hydrogen peroxide formula can work in just 15-20 minutes with or without light acceleration.
- Laser whitening – Bleaching agent is placed on teeth before shining a specialized cool laser to speed up the chemical reaction for accelerated whitening. May involve heat and light sensitivity.
Pros: Noticeably whiter teeth in one visit, minimizes sensitivity with professional monitoring, maintains results longer.
Cons: More expensive per session, results still degrade over time, higher likelihood of initial sensitivity or irritation.
Professional treatments range from $300-$650 per visit. On average, you can expect up to 9 shades whiter from a single in-office session. However, multiple sessions may be recommended for maximum whitening.
Considerations for Keeping Teeth White
In addition to active whitening treatments, Winnipeg dentists recommend these tips to maintain a bright smile:
- Brush with a whitening toothpaste twice daily and floss regularly to prevent stains from building up
- Rinse mouth with water after consuming staining foods and drinks like coffee, red wine, berries, tomato sauce and soy sauce
- Limit intake of dark colored foods and beverages or use a straw to minimize contact with teeth
- Quit smoking and tobacco use which can significantly yellow teeth and attract stains
- Get professional teeth cleanings every 6 months to remove hardened surface stains on teeth.
When to Consider Dental Veneers
For individuals with severe tooth discoloration unresponsive to even professional whitening, dental veneers offer a solution. Veneers are thin facings bonded over the front of teeth to mask dark stains or spots with natural-looking, white coverage. While more expensive than whitening, veneers provide immediate, dramatic results that don’t regress like whiter from bleaching treatments.
Choosing the Right Whitening Method
Talk to your dentist about which teeth whitening in Winnipeg options suit your budget, lifestyle needs, and cosmetic goals. Be sure to get professional guidance before using products with higher peroxide concentrations, which can damage teeth and gums if misused. With the right whitening plan for your individual needs, you’ll be smiling brightly in no time!
Get the gorgeous, white smile you’ve always wanted with teeth whitening in Winnipeg from All Seasons Dental Clinic. Contact us to schedule a personalized consultation and take the first step towards boosting your confidence with a whiter, brighter grin!